If you feel a news story does not measure up to expected journalistic standards, bring it to the Journalism Dry Cleaner. Through our collective wisdom, we will strip it of all offensive dirt.

REAL TIME VISITORS

LIVE STATS

BLOG GUESTS

Tuesday 8 October 2013

LESSONS FOR A MEDIA MR. KNOW-IT-ALL

I'm a self-proclaimed vanquisher of any sighted journalism faux pas and media-malpractices. But in the process, I have created a dangerous facade of infallibility, misguided by my supposed years of professional experience and solid academic accomplishments. Which explains my horrendous mistake and the lessons for a media Mr. Know-It-All

True, nothing beats the altruistic quest to spur superior media coverage, through constructive criticism. The lofty feeling borne out of sharing and exchanging ideas, to help others grow and become better media practitioners, is undoubtedly an uplifting experience.

That somebody somewhere appreciates the 'editorial guidance' embedded in this blog, and finds it worthy of sharing it out in their individual circles, elevates my spirit to dizzying heights.

But unbeknownst to me perhaps, pointing out others' mistakes calls for an even greater responsibility on my part, to serve as a good example of being beyond the very reproach that I seek to castigate.

Human I am though, and erring I will.

However, despite my acceptance of the inevitability of my own mistakes 'exhaling', I still find it deeply shocking, and psychologically unsettling, (not to mention intellectually disenfranchising!), that I can entirely be to blame for even elementary errors in my place of work.

Such was the case recently, when in my exuberant zeal to showcase my 'superior' grasp of matters editorial, I ended up crafting a heinous graphical eye-sore, in tandem with Taban's lexicographicide.

And this was displayed on an international media platform! And noted with a reprimand, from a gatekeeper stationed thousands of kilometres away.

Repeat with me:

I will not assume my English language competence is above average. 

I will not stop refreshing my grasp of journalism skills and command of canonical media tenets, through copious intakes of relevant literature and audio visual tutorials.

I will strive to point out any noted language mishap but not from the pantheon of linguistic gurus, but from a position of equally learning from identified mistakes.

And finally...

I will forever remember there's only one 'S' in the word 'ASYLUM' not two, like the ass I was momentarily transformed into.



No comments: