If you feel a news story does not measure up to expected journalistic standards, bring it to the Journalism Dry Cleaner. Through our collective wisdom, we will strip it of all offensive dirt.

REAL TIME VISITORS

LIVE STATS

BLOG GUESTS

Saturday 1 May 2010

MOVING ON UP - FROM TRADITIONAL JOURNALISM TO NEW MEDIA

It is no longer a matter of whether a time is coming when traditional media platforms will give way to new media. Ominous signs of this paradigm shift have been with us long enough to safely now start pondering how and when it will happen.

Not wanting to risk being reduced to nostalgically spectating, as my past journalistic experience fails to seamlessly gel with the demands of a future media industry, I really had no option but to presently take the next flight into the world of online journalism.

And this day marks a milestone in this transformational journey. I have crossed over to the other side of the fence, where the pasture is not just greener, but is also digital.

My personal website 'Albert Gachiri: In Pursuit of the Truth' has gone live, heralding new challenges and new opportunities but most importantly, my calling as a journalist has been handed a major boost. I did create it from scratch, you know.

Admittedly, my online technical skills are nothing to write home about but the good thing is that every digital step I make in cyber-space gets me closer to becoming a fully fledged multimedia journalist.

Although my site is for now embedded within the University of Westminster London Divercity students' group-produced www.londondivercity.co.uk, I hope to build on the skills learnt and one day have my own domain in the Internet.

So from today, feel free to use the following as insults, whenever I step out of line or act really stupid: HTML, CSS, Dreamweaver, Flash, Actionscript, Motion Tween, SEO, Div Tag, Semiotics, External Style Sheet, Meta Tags, Keywords and Root Folder.

No comments: